Asian Paints - Lead Researcher II - Emulsion Development (3-7 yrs)
Role Description :
- Create Emulsion development Projects for decorative/ industrial coating application in consultation with various stake holders. The incumbent is expected to plan, organize and conduct Lab Experiments along with fellow Researchers towards development of new polymers on assigned projects.
- The role also requires scaling up /standardization of bench scale developed resins in the plant for their commercialization.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Idea generation / picking up ideas towards creation of a new project
- Hold discussions with stake holders to identify specific project to be taken up for development work
- Conduct Literature search, identify possible synthetic routes and organize required RMs, equipments etc
- Design and development of resins from bench scale to pilot / manufacturing scale
- Application of scientific principles in the design of experiments and to solve complex technology problems
- Provide day-to-day direction, coaching and feedback to researchers on Project work
- Interact with paint development groups for understanding their requirements and support them to achieve technology objectives
- Interact with vendors / supply chain for identification and procurement of raw materials and instruments for development work
- Practice and implement conducive work culture for meeting the Quality
Objectives (ISO) and Safe Work culture (OH&S) criteria set by the company :
- Support supply chain, manufacturing and marketing for achieving value engineering, standardization and customer centric objectives
- Write technical papers, patenting new technologies and give technical presentation to internal & external customers
Scope of Work :
a) Financial Scope (Range of financial spend) : Budgeting & implementation of Capex towards procurement of New equipments / Instruments etc.
b) People Management Scope (Range of no. of Direct/ Indirect Reports): - Lead 1-2 Researchers for the development of new polymers for coatings
c) Geography Coverage (Country-wide/ State-wide / Area-wide) - NA
d) Corporate Coverage (Company-wide / Business Unit or Function-wide / Sub-function-wide / Other) : All business units (Deco, PPGAP, APPPG), All Plants, OPCs and IBU
Key Interactions :
Internal - Paint development groups
- Analytical groups / Vendor development Lab / Microbiology Lab
- Supply chain/Manufacturing/Marketing
External - Vendors :
- Technical Institutes
- National/International seminars and Workshops
Qualifications Essential :
- PhD in Organic Chemistry/ Polymer Science/ Plastic technology
- PhD with Post-doctorial research in Organic chemistry / Polymer / Plastic technology .
- Consistently good academic record from SSC to post graduation
Previous Experience Essential :
- Min. 4-6 yrs Research experience in Polymers for coatings in a Research Lab. of reputed Organization.
- Hands on work experience on synthesis and characterization of polymers for coatings.
Functional Competencies - Knowledge of polymer synthesis like epoxies, acrylics, polyurethanes, silicones, amino, polyesters, phenolics etc.
- Knowledge of polymer characterization through modern analytical techniques like DSC, GPC, TGA, etc
- Good publications on polymer synthesis and characterization in reputed national / international journals
- Project management ability
- Techno commercial aptitude
Behavioral Competencies - Amiable nature & pleasant personality
- Excellent written and oral communication skill
- Willing to work with his own hand in the Lab
- Adaptability to new roles & responsibilities
- Customer orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Additional Requirements - Excellent Analytical aptitude & understanding of statistical techniques e.g. Six Sigma, FMEA, DOE etc.