Asian Paints - Lead Researcher II - Resin Development (3-7 yrs)
Role Description :
- Create Resin development Projects for decorative/ industrial coating application in consultation with various stake holders.
- The incumbent is expected to plan, organize and conduct Lab Experiments along with fellow Researchers towards development of new polymers on assigned projects. The role also requires scaling up /standardization of bench scale developed resins in the plant for their commercialization.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Idea generation / picking up ideas towards creation of a new project
- Hold discussions with stake holders to identify specific project to be taken up for development work
- Conduct Literature search, identify possible synthetic routes and organize required RMs, equipments etc
- Design and development of resins from bench scale to pilot / manufacturing scale
- Application of scientific principles in the design of experiments and to solve complex technology problems
- Provide day-to-day direction, coaching and feedback to researchers on Project work
- Interact with paint development groups for understanding their requirements and support them to achieve technology objectives
- Interact with vendors / supply chain for identification and procurement of raw materials and instruments for development work
- Practice and implement conducive work culture for meeting the Quality objectives (ISO) and Safe Work culture (OH&S) criteria set by the company
- Support supply chain, manufacturing and marketing for achieving value engineering, standardization and customer centric objectives
- Write technical papers, patenting new technologies and give technical presentation to internal & external customers
Scope of Work :
a) Financial Scope (Range of financial spend):- Budgeting & implementation of Capex towards procurement of New equipments / Instruments etc
b) People Management Scope (Range of no. of Direct/ Indirect Reports): - Lead 1-2 Researchers for the development of new polymers for coatings
c) Geography Coverage (Country-wide/ State-wide / Area-wide) - NA
d) Corporate Coverage (Company-wide / Business Unit or Function-wide / Sub-function-wide / Other): - All business units (Deco, PPGAP, APPPG), All Plants, OPCs and IBU
Key Interactions :
Internal - Paint development groups :
- Analytical groups / Vendor development Lab / Microbiology Lab
- Supply chain/Manufacturing/Marketing
External - Vendors :
- Technical Institutes
- National/International seminars and Workshops
Essential : PhD in Organic Chemistry/ Polymer Science/ Plastic technology
- PhD with Post-doctorial research in Organic chemistry / Polymer / Plastic technology .
- Consistently good academic record from SSC to post graduation
Previous Experience :
- Min. 4-6 yrs Research experience in Polymers for coatings in a Research Lab. of reputed Organization.
- Hands on work experience on synthesis and characterization of polymers for coatings.
Functional Competencies :
- Knowledge of polymer synthesis like epoxies, acrylics, polyurethanes, silicones, amino, polyesters, phenolics etc.
- Knowledge of polymer characterization through modern analytical techniques like DSC, GPC, TGA, etc
- Good publications on polymer synthesis and characterization in reputed national / international journals
- Project management ability
- Techno commercial aptitude
Behavioral Competencies :
- Amiable nature & pleasant personality
- Excellent written and oral communication skill
- Willing to work with his own hand in the Lab
- Adaptability to new roles & responsibilities
- Customer orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Additional Requirements : Excellent Analytical aptitude & understanding of statistical techniques e.g. Six Sigma, FMEA, DOE etc.