Bonito Designs - Furniture Designer (2-5 yrs)
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Furniture designers have a set of common tasks that they are expected to complete as part of their job. Based on our review of job listings, these core tasks are :
Plan and Improve Designs :
- Furniture designers are tasked with researching and planning a variety of furniture design styles. They may have to discuss designs with clients who desire custom orders or meet with manufacturers. They may also have to improve upon furniture designs that are already being manufactured with the use of computer-aided design and hard prototypes.
Choose Materials :
- The process of selecting suitable materials - namely woods, plastics, textiles, and metals - is also a common task assigned to furniture designers. Due to their input on the design process, they are the best person to choose the optimal materials for a particular design.
Consult with Team Members :
- Unless a furniture designer is self-employed and works on a small scale, they will have to consult with other craftsmen or production members, such as marketing staff or design engineers.
Evaluate Issues :
- Furniture designers must consider all kinds of issues, such as industry trends, purchasing, manufacturing techniques, and organizing schedules based on availability of project resources.
Follow Design Trends :
- Attending industry-related trainings - such as webinars, seminars, and workshops - is essential to staying up to date, as is attending various furnishing shows and exhibitions.