Bonito Designs - Head - Research & Development - Furniture & Product Design (10-20 yrs)
Our aim :
We are the design evangelist aiming to be the idol of interior design in the country, to start with, we are with an envision to expand to a long stretch within the short frame of time and on a hunt to find the dreamers who are looking to fly with us long and strong.
Our kind :
A camaraderie of misfits who fight to pull the wheels of innovation ahead with love and compassion in what we do. We eat challenges for breakfast and solutions as dinner and fights are our midday meals. We question our way out to find the light and see a customer happy, as our purpose is to change the way interior design is looked and the way life is lived.
Born : 2012
Happy Homes : 1000 and counting.
- If a home had an ambition, it has to be Bonito-
Opportunity : Research & Development Head
Business context :
We are looking to recruit a forward thinking, strategic focused Head of Research and Development as the company enters a new phase of growth in the areas of product innovation and strategic brand alliances The role will be focused on leading the development of new research and development strategies to capture new business lines and ensure internal development is geared towards meeting strategic aims, in terms of timescales and costs. The role will involve working broadly with other teams in and outside the company,The work location is in the headquarters,Bangalore.
Responsible for development & delivery of the company strategy with respect to research & development of products/materials/services and develop new/improve processes and make sure they are inline to the goal of the company. This includes delivery of research projects and changes to existing services related to interiors.
Reporting to the Chief Design Officer the main responsibilities of the role shall include but not be limited to :
- Leading research and development of the company.
- Working with Sales, Marketing & Business Development, Design, Procurement, execution and Customers to develop Research & Development strategy for delivering the company's main goal.
- Provide vision and plan for shaping the company to delivering future pipeline growth.
- To develop competitive edge and find methods safeguard them.
- Create strong brand communication through innovation aligning towards the vision of the company.
- Ensuring that work is done in line with company processes and industry standards.
- Ensuring resource levels, competencies, skills and knowledge are in place and balanced to support achievement of R&D's targets.
- Accountable for budget, schedule, scope, quality and delivery of all R&D projects.
- Building the delivery structure for R&D projects
- Leading the R&D team to meet the company strategy through - business as usual- tasks and project delivery.
- Development and management of the R&D Governance and Plans
- Driving continuous improvements to R&D processes both internally to the department and pan business
- Line management and career development responsibilities of the team.
- Ensuring the department is using industry best practice in the delivery of projects and products.
- Achieving success in the role will be indicated by performance on tasks such as:
Cost Centre :
- Line management of team members including succession planning, talent management, identification and reviewing and recruitment within the cost centre.
- Responsible for development and delivery of weekly and monthly budget which are cost centric.
- Responsible for R&D's Risk Management process and inputs into the company level risk process.
Research & Development :
- Responsible for developing R&D strategy to enable Bonito to meet it's company strategic aims and successfully increase brand presence.
- Working with other departments, customer stakeholders and industry to ensure Bonito's Service/Products, strategies and methods remain up to date and Bonito is able to continue to influence industry in high standards.
- Responsible for the success of the goals set for R&D.
- Responsible for the development of Product/Service catalog.
- Roadmaps in line with company's strategy.
- Responsible in introducing technologies and new methods of product development and their infusion in the system.
- Responsible for the approval of all Project Management and Technical Plans within the R&D department.
- Accountable for ensuring the technical aspects of all R&D projects are fit for business purpose.
- Responsible in testing and developing new products and projects (The success and failure of it).
- Responsible in finding and affiliating new brands/products which are interior focused to develop strong resonance of Bonito's identity in the industry.
- Responsible for creating strong design and cost centric vendors.
- Responsible in improving company's cost of goods sold in terms of materials and products used in interior projects.
- Responsible in making sure cost estimations are created on the 1st of every month and making sure they are below the stipulated budget for all of R&D's projects by verifying them. (e.g.new product/projects).
- Responsible for performance of a product or a service related to interiors infused by R&D.
- Responsible for the development,implementation and maintenance of the R&D processes across the industry and inside the company for a product/service to flow.
- Responsible for working with other leads to ensure lean and timely delivery of project delivery and business improvements.
- Responsible for representing the Research & Development at the Senior Management level.
- Accountable for projects- adherence to R&D policy document.
- Reporting to management to ensure communication of the state of play of all aspects of the R&D department.
- Effectively managing all stakeholders in the company to ensure successful deliveries.
- Accountable for the delivery of projects in time and budget.
- Ensure the smooth running of business as usual activities in the department.
Key skills :
- Design background.
- Big picture thinker.
- Experience of developing research strategies.
- Provides vision and inspiration on innovation and product development.
- Has strong understandings of interior design and its philosophy.
- Practical know hows of materials and products related to interior.
- Solid understanding of interior standards with execution experience.
- Understands the broader business drivers, with the ability to work collaboratively with key Functional areas both inside and outside of the company.
- Strong ability to create life cycles of product and service in the system.
- Highly integrated leader with ability to inspire change throughout the company.
- Experience in planning and management.
- Experience of line management and management of cross-site teams.
- Understanding of costs on products.
- Leadership and Management Competencies
This role requires the delivery of the following personality skills :
Drives for Results :
- Achieves meaningful business results for the company by focusing and guiding others. Creates energy and enthusiasm for achieving desired results.
Accelerates Decision Making and Execution :
- Demonstrates a sense of agility and focus in making decisions, executing plans, and taking actions. Prioritizes work based on what is highest value for the business and customers.
Deploys Diverse Talent :
- Realizes the right person in the right place. Ensures organization capability aligns to business demands.
Connects among team,customer and the industry openly :
- Actively connects among team,customer and industry openly in order to create new value for the company and customers.
Changes Mindset of Employees :
- Operates as "One" by breaking down silos. Agile. Takes risks rapidly and courageously and learn from mistakes. Delivers results despite uncertainties in the marketplace. Makes changes in organization, process and procedure and translates into day to day activities.
Coaches and develops people :
- Provides coaching, feedback, instruction, and development support to help others excel in their job responsibilities. Develops individual skills and abilities of employees.
Inspires People with Vision :
- Articulates clear and consistent message to employees so that they can understand and be excited by the company's vision, and their role in achieving it. Motivates individuals to achieve higher levels of performance that is aligned with the company vision, values and strategy.