CMF Production Lead (2-4 yrs)
The CMF Production Lead at DRE is responsible for leading all aspects of the mastering process for interior and exterior materials. This includes the analysis and approval of color, material, finish and grain as well as the validation of overall appearance and quality as it relates to material development.
As a part of this fast-paced environment, you will create and oversee all material masters and collaborate closely with suppliers and key cross-functional partners, including Design Quality and Color and Material Design, to procure production feasible materials that meet both design intent and aggressive program timelines.
The CMF Production Lead will define and establish protocol and processes to optimize the Mastering system, hold the highest standards for quality, attention to detail and build strong relationships with other team members while enjoying a dynamic work environment.
Although being an individual contributor is a central part of this position, we intend to build out a mastering team and this position will be pivotal in leading that function within the design organization.
- Manage and execute the creation, distribution, and organization of interior and exterior material masters by concurrently developing the supply base, validating samples, and handling all program management to track timelines to ensure standards are on track for production.
- Create and implement tactical protocol including procedures, tools, and software to streamline all aspects of the material mastering system.
- Define and coordinate material master guidelines and best practices with all suppliers. Track/manage timelines and establish corrective action plans with suppliers to ensure quality and timing deliverables are met.
- Track and communicate master status to Design Quality, Color & Materials, Purchasing and Engineering Teams and escalate high risk items.
- Understand the process of all materials in production and in development to effectively work with suppliers to achieve design intent.
- Support recruitment efforts in building out the mastering team where necessary.
- Demonstrate high color acuity with ability to critique and fluently articulate specific color and appearance variances of interior/exterior materials to external suppliers and internal teams.
- Successfully pass the Munsell Hue Test with a perfect score.
- Proven ability to establish tactical protocol and implement procedures and systems.
- Convey pragmatic interest in/approach to facilitating creative projects while not being hands-on in any creative capacity with respect to design.
- Possess demonstrable technical knowledge of mass production, manufacturing processes, and materials. Must have knowledge and experience with color/gloss measurement tools and readings.
- Passion for color, materials, material composition, and the process of manufacturing automotive grade materials.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining both external suppler and internal cross-functional working relationships.
- Exceptional communication and organization skills are must.
- Must be self-motivated, adaptable, flexible, and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other relevant software.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent in relevant professional experience and exceptional ability, in Engineering, Design Quality, Color and Materials, Material Development, or Design Development.
- 1-3 years of experience in CMF Design, Design Quality, and/or Mastering.
- Please note that while this position sits within the design team, it is not a creative role.
- All candidates must submit a portfolio/personal website to be considered.