SBU Head at Kopal Consultants LLP
Views:1749 Applications:347 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:86
Deputy General Manager/Head - Plant Operations (15-25 yrs)
Job Description :
Definition : Responsibility and accountability for the Manufacturing and/or Production function of KARAM Manufacturing Unit in Sitarganj, to required standards of quality, cost, delivery and safety; also includes people and budgetary management. Will be a part of the management team, which determines all business decisions.
The Plant in Sitarganj produces KARAM Personal Protective Equipment like Safety Helmet, Safety Eyewear, Safety Shoes, Fall Protection Equipment, etc, and principally caters to the Indian market, and also exports to Middle East and GCC countries.
Overall Purpose of the Role :
- Strategic and tactical responsibility for implementing manufacturing strategy and strategic operational goals to exceed customer expectations for product quality, cost and delivery, maximising efficiency, optimising production levels and driving operational excellence.
- Work closely with internal and external key stakeholders, regarding technical support for activities, striving for best in class products and business practices to deliver to the customer's expectations, managing teams and projects across the business.
- Provide clear leadership and vision, inspire and motivate staff to achieve excellence and mentor them as they develop new skills.
- Drive Key Performance Indicators across all areas of the Manufacturing function to ensure that all projects are delivered on cost and on time to the highest quality standards.
- Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental issues are prioritised and facilitated, direct and drive implementation of Lean Business strategy and drive Continuous Improvement across all manufacturing related areas of the business.
Key Responsibilities :
A. Strategy and Development :
- Overall responsibility for Manufacturing activities in the Plant.
- Create (in collaboration with President Technical) and implement best practice manufacturing vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance
- Ensure that manufacturing strategies and processes are in place to meet business objectives and operational needs in terms of price, quality and delivery targets and which enables the company to function and compete effectively in the market
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities
- Contribute to overall business strategy
- Take ownership of the manufacturing policy, Production guidelines and any associated documents
- Initiate and develop creative and innovative manufacturing processes, which may be incorporated in KARAM Production Manual, as and when required.
B. General and Task Management :
- Lead, develop and implement variable cost productivity programmes across all areas of responsibility
- Implement a customer focused operational culture delivering world-class customer service levels
- Coordinate team activities to optimise cost performance of the plant through capital investment programmes, optimising operating working capital usage and minimising waste through the development of a continuous improvement culture encompassing lean principles and clear strategic development
- Develop and manage master production schedule and operations budgets for products to directly support and ensure that the product is delivered to agreed cost, quality and timelines
- Plan and execute maintenance activity to ensure plant is kept safe and compliant
- Drive improvements in reliability for key aspects of machinery and identifying best planned maintenance strategy
- Operate a process for safe selection of external contractors. In conjunction with the Head of Central Purchasing (AVP- Cost, Audit and Controls- PNI), ensure all external maintenance contracts are regularly reviewed to ensure best value
- Provide design for manufacturing input at early stages in the new product development process, coordinating with and supporting the R&D team (in PNI- Lucknow) to implement new and revised designs and developing effective processes to ensure manufacturability of product while maintaining quality, safety and environmental standards and achieving cost targets
- Manage the accurate and on-time introduction of new products
- Support project management to cross-functional activity required for project execution
- Ensure that Environmental, Health and Safety, manufacturing and quality standards and procedures are adhered to.
C. People Management :
- Provide leadership to departments under control and coach, mentor and develop direct reports and manage a high performing team that delivers continuous improvement, added value and cost reductions
- Establish strategy and best practices for staff to ensure achievement of overall business objectives. Work with the Manufacturing team to translate site strategy into specific annual performance goals and departmental objectives including KPIs, and to track them
- Set department objectives and monitor ongoing progress and performance
- Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate exchange of information in order to implement change and improvements
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and well being of staff and visitors
- Responsible for developing the appropriate organisational structure, resource plans and culture to support the business objectives and customer deliverables
- Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles
- Complete regular performance reviews, manage attendance, holidays, disciplinary issues and procedures as appropriate
D. Financial and Budget Management :
- Input and hold responsibility for manufacturing budgets
E. Relationship Management :
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Liaise with various local Government regulatory bodies to ensure smooth running of the Plant, and report regularly to the President Technical with respect to the same.
- Proactively work with product line management, R&D and other departments to incorporate best practices into the manufacturing environment
- Report on Manufacturing activities on a regular basis to the President- Technical, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant Key Performance Indicators
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the manufacturing strategy
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of technology change and potential effects on supply. Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimising cost
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on manufacturing activities
F. Environmental Management :
- Review environmental strategies that impact on future ways of operating and ensure implementation where possible
- Review the use of technological systems that support a more environmentally friendly approach
- Review opportunities to be as environmentally friendly as possible
G. Self Management :
- Support, comply and ensure conformity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Employee HR Manual, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures
- Inspire and motivate the team
- Consistently manage performance firmly and fairly
- Know and develop the team
- Be Resilient, optimistic and open to change. Be self-aware; show moral courage, openness and honesty in all dealings. Have a collaborative approach to others.
Skills and Attributes :
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers
- Strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines
- Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets
- Resilient, self motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Technical mindset
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
Qualifications and Experience Levels :
- Educated to degree level (preferably Masters) in a relevant engineering /manufacturing discipline.
- Demonstrable experience of leading a manufacturing function with a proven track record in strategic manufacturing leadership delivering effective manufacturing strategies, policies, processes and systems
- Ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements
- Proven project management and quality experience
- Experience of operating and influencing at a strategic level
- Knowledge and technical understanding of industrial processes, components and manufacturing techniques.
- Experience of minimum 15 years.