Gensler - Design Manager (10-15 yrs)
At Gensler, we design for people. We leverage our global perspective and local presence to innovate at every scale. We're not just designers. We- re tinkerers, craftspeople, visionaries, innovators and thought leaders. Fueled by passion and entrepreneurial spirit, our people bring new ideas to solve challenging problems. Whether you're into sketching new ideas, hacking a building or growing client relationships in global markets, there's something here for everyone.
Our depth of expertise spans disciplines - from master planning to education, hospitality, retail, technology and more.- Whether we- re refreshing a retailer's brand, planning a new urban district or designing a super tall building, we strive to make the everyday places people occupy more inspiring, more resilient and more impactful.
Our work reflects an enduring commitment to sustainability, and we believe that a diversity of voices and cultures is one of the most powerful strategic tools for securing lasting competitive advantage.
Your Role :
As a Design Manager, you will need to coordinate with a team of architects and designers to deliver unparalleled architectural projects. Leverage your industry experience and technical acumen to drive client projects from concept through construction drawings. You need to actively participate in all phases of the design process. Innovative thinking balanced with the ability to present real-world technical solutions to new design challenges. Must thrive with personal responsibility and accountability but embody and embrace open communication and team-oriented success.
What You Will Do :
- Manage all phases of projects, including project set-up, design, and construction drawings.
- Manage project schedules, budgets, and set up with clients, sub-contractors, vendors, and consultants.
- Prepare project proposals, negotiate contracts and fees, coordinate bidding process.
- Track financial performance of projects.
- Assist with the design and delivery of the architectural and/or technical aspects of a project.
- Possess proficient/advanced knowledge of architectural design principles, technical details, codes, and material characteristics.
- Provide project team coordination for the finished plans, specifications, and material selections required for construction.
- Resolution of complex technical and design issues as they arise during document preparation and construction administration.
- Manage a range of project team sizes, comprised of project architects, interior designers, and job captains.
- Preparing and ensuring the accuracy of technical documents.
- Participating in the administration of project assignments, including quality control.
- Manage client, teams, and project coordination, including full documentation coordination with consultants.
- Support communication between the project team, clients, vendors, contractors, consultants, and building and permitting officials.
- Provide technical guidance and innovative solutions to resolve complex technical and design challenges.
- Maintain project manual and specifications.
- Ensure projects conform to the contract.
- Conduct and document process submittals, substitution requests, and RFI's during construction.
- Organize and manage project teams and assignments.
- Oversee coordination of projects.
- Lead project coordination for the plans, elevations, sections, details, schedules specifications, and material selections required for construction.
- Manage project timelines and schedules.
- Review technical documents to ensure accuracy.
- Lead coordination of consultants, specification writers, and regulatory agencies to meet overall project objectives.
- Oversee the administration of project assignments with a focus on managing design intent and quality control.
- Other assigned responsibilities.
Your Qualifications :
- Bachelor of Architecture or Interior Design
- Licensed or registered architect.
- 15-18+ years of project experience in an architectural practice.
- Retail & Hospitality experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of building codes, standards, building construction, and building structures.
- Strong leadership, communication, and relationship management skills.
- Ability to handle difficult situations with tact and emotional intelligence.
- Construction documentation and/or design detail development experience.
- Experience with the entire project lifecycle, through post-occupancy.
- Experience leading, managing, and mentoring multiple project teams.
- Experience negotiating project scope and fees.
- Proven fiscal accountability and responsibility for various project types.
- Must have the ability to maintain existing client relationships and build new client relationships.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
Life at Gensler :
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions and hackathons, to - Well-being Week,- our offices reflect our teams- diverse interests.
We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, paid holidays and paid time off. We also offer profit sharing and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm's commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.