HR at Herman Miller Furniture India Private Limited
Views:153 Applications:7 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
Herman Miller - Production Development Engineer (4-8 yrs)
Production Development Engineer
Department : Engineering Team, HM India, Bangalore, India
Reports to : Direct report to CBS Quality and Supplier Development Manager with daily report to Engineering Manager HMI
Purpose of the job :
Providing Manufacturing Engineering and Development capacity to the UK team. You will be an integral part of the team and business.
Key to this role is to drive the ongoing development and establish the India team as the principal resource for all CBS - in-production- product related activity, which includes :
- Product Improvements
- Targeted Value Engineering
- Issue resolution
- Change management
- Engineering support to Production line
- Working through Value Engineering and issue resolutions of existing international products and working closely with cross-functional teams to discern internal and external customer product wants and needs.
- This support would encompass handling engineering issues, modifying existing product, creating new assemblies, parts & drawings
- There would also be requirement to answer product based queries coming from cross-functional team.
- This position will also support production lines at various manufacturing units with jigs, fixtures and other engineering issues.
- Clearly communicate ideas, progress issues and solutions, and proactively generate projects and activity through regular interaction and visits to global suppliers and the team in the UK.
Specific responsibilities :
- Communicates frequently with Engineers and Managers on assigned projects
- Maintain the integrity of new and existing products in terms of performance, specifications, and quality.
- Undertake VE activities to ensure that the most effective cost reduction and or performance enhancements are achieved
- Produce 3D cad models and engineering/manufacturing 2D drawings
- Support new development projects from conceptualization to implementation
- Confidently carry-out and analyze calculation of tolerance stacks and GDT systems
- Estimate time required for assigned tasks, decomposing projects into manageable tasks creating approved project plans. Work with UK manager if its acceptable to meet overall project timescale
- Develop parts and products to meet the appropriate International Ergonomic and Safety Standards, and the Company's internal performance requirements
- Develop engineering specifications and documentation that meets product criteria, design intent, and performance requirements within the companies procedures.
- Ensure that all documentation is prepared and supplied with all drawing changes in accordance with the Engineering Change Notice (EC) procedure. Become expert in the EC process, capable of driving projects from starting a EC to implementing. Become a Champion/single point of contact for EC completion to agreed timescales
- Validate the changes, modifications, Value engineering projects through prototypes
- Contribute to the development process demonstrating ideas through discussion or practical media.
- Building relationships with all the operational teams to continually refine and improve the process of reducing time-to-market opportunities.
- Develop part and products that optimize tooling and manufacturing processes and reliability.
- Conceptualize innovative engineering solutions using Solid Works.
- Manage work flow and data integrity through the EPDM system, becoming the local expert in its use and maintenance
- Manages all CAD activities within a project including production of detailed 2D engineering drawings for manufacture
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested
- Work closely with Design and Manufacturing Engineering to achieve designs that optimize tooling and manufacturing processes and reliability.
- Complete product drawings or complete system design drawings to support prototype and production.
- Establish and maintain open channels of communication with leads & Managers.
- Update item masters, product structures and general database maintenance in support of project activities and the efficient running of the system. Create accurate engineering specification drawings and models to assist Engineering with minimal direction.
Minimum Requirements (Key Knowledge, Skills & Abilities) :
- A bachelor's degree in Mechanical discipline or four years equivalent degree.
- Proficient in Solid works, PDM, AutoCAD
- Must have previous experience working in an International business interacting with collegues from Europe or America
- Must have excellent written and spoken English.
- Must be diligent in work, paying special attention to detail
- Must be confidence with effective interpersonal skills.
- Must have experience and working knowledge of plastic injection moulding/Aluminium die casting techniques and ideally have proven experience seeing component parts through design and development in mass manufacture.
- Problem definition, problem solving, and project management exposure, including computer-based tools that assist in these areas.
- Ability to effectively use office automation/communication software and tools such as Outlook, Skype and Skype for Business and Video conferencing currently being used in the CBS/HMI office environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment, supporting overall goals through active participation and valuing the unique skills and contributions of other team members.
- Must be able to maintain a positive attitude in addressing concerns.
- Must be respectful, tactful, truthful and professional in all working relationships while representing CBS and its interests.
- Must be willing to take ownership efficiently working to drive tasks to completion.
- Requires good listening, strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to explain technical matters to non technical audiences.
- Performs additional responsibilities as requested
Contacts and relationships :
Key Internal contacts:
- Product management
- All UK CBS business units as required
- All Global CBS business units as required
- Technical Experts
Person profile :
Education and experience :
1. Engineering Level education
2. 4 to 8 years proven experience.
3. Proven in-depth knowledge of Solid Works
4. Exceptional communication skills with the ability to understand cultural difference and adjust communication style to suit
5. Problem solving techniques
6. Manufacturing shop floor knowledge
7. Work in flexible time as per business needs.
8. Willing relocate to Bidadi if required in future
9. Willing to travel globally and per business needs with extended time spent in the UK
1. Certified solidworks professional
2. Previous employment with an International company
3. Understand and implement GDT drawing systems
4. Experience in Surface modelling
1. In-depth understanding of Solid Works, and the ability to effectively produce clear, accurate and detailed 2D manufacturing drawings.
2. Excellent ability in engineering robust, simple solutions to complex problems
3. Excellent communication skills at all levels
4. Ability to take initiative and assume accountability.
5. Ability to work with teams and achieving quality results on time.
6. Lateral thinker and confident problem solver
1. Thinks logically and conceptually
2. Develops innovative ideas and methods
3. Can establish priorities and handle many projects
4. Welcomes responsibility can make decisions and accepts risk.
5. Can work independently and as part of a team.
6. Has flexible approach to change