Project Manager - Railway Projects (5-15 yrs)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PURPOSE :
- Plan, direct, and coordinate all assigned Project activities to ensure execution within the prescribed timeframe and approved funding parameters.
- Strong aptitude in mechanical design, product specification, contractual obligations, project logistics and customer acceptance requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS :
- Manage multiple complex projects and sophisticated project schedules from customer tender, through delivery and customer acceptance
- Define, initiate, and plan projects to ensure proper scope and estimate. Manage and communicate project cost, P&L management, and project change orders
- Validate ERP derived project cost estimates and exemplifies solid ERP skills to drive action
- Support and plan for machine testing, training, commissioning and customer acceptance
- Establish work plans and staffing for each project phase
- Maintain project visual boards, with ongoing project forecast updates, and monthly and quarterly project updates
- Stage-gate process champion with strict adherence to process documentation completion
- Work with Engineering, Marketing, Accounting and Strategic Sourcing on project cost estimates (budgetary and full project quotes) for Contract submission
- Customer interface to ensure project scope compliance, yet managing project creep
- Mentor, support and assist Project Management-I training on best practices and procedures
- Effectively lead cross-functional teams and coordination of team activities; ensuring appropriate and timely issue escalation
- Achieve project Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for all assigned projects
BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES :
- Adaptability : Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- High- Impact Communication : Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a variety of situations; communicating in a focused and compelling way that drives others' thoughts and actions; and helps them understand, retain and engage.
- Customer Focus : Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets firsthand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Courageous Decision Making : Enables others to share information, evaluate and make fact based decisions with appropriate sense of urgency, while standing ready to make final decisions when fear of the unknown or complacency gets in the way of progress.
- Planning and Organizing : Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently. Mobilizing available internal and external resources to achieve organizational goals; proactively negotiating for and accessing resources outside one's immediate domain when necessary.
- Values Based Leadership : Recognized by others as living and teaching the Loram values, and appropriately responds when others behave in opposition to the values.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
Education : Bachelor's degree in Engineering and/or Business related
Experience : 4+ years of Project management experience
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
Education : Advanced Degree
Licenses/Certifications : Project Management Certification
WORKING CONDITIONS :
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office deskwork, requiring sitting, walking, using phone & computer
- May lift up to 30 lbs. occasionally
- 20%or more travel including international-
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes challenging conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment.
- The % travel will be dependent on resident location of the contractor. The necessary travel from India to the US for introductory Loram training is likely the only international travel required for this position. The trips from Bangalore to Kolar may be 2 to 3 times per week as needed. By the local travel definition, travel expectations could be up to 50%.