Consultant at Michael Page
Views:248 Applications:37 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:6
Senior Cost Planner - Construction Projects (15-18 yrs)
Job Description :
- Work to constantly improve the vendor/supplier database & establish relationships that can be leveraged to outperform the standard market conditions.
- Review RFP and RFQ and interpret design and construction requirements, optional and/or desired items and award criteria to provide early input to optimize a design.
- Obtain and analyse necessary bids on projects from trade contractors, subcontractors and material vendors.
- Ability to determine the missing scope of work in conceptual plans and scopes of work.
- Assemble the estimate including special conditions, insurance and bonds.
- Ensure that estimates, including general conditions, are accurate, complete and reflect the actual requirements of the project.
- This includes ensuring that there are an adequate number of qualified and financially sound trade/subcontractor proposals received and evaluated.
- Lead and coordinate benchmarking efforts with Head of Procurement.
- Use historical pricing and market pricing to develop a conceptual cost plan based on incomplete plans and specifications.
- Develop the appropriate back-up (assumptions and clarifications).
- Review the estimate qualifications for completeness and accuracy.
- On Design-Build projects has the ability to work with and provide input to cash flow models. (escalation and cash flow modelling).
- Compare progressive iterations of plans and scope against previous cost plan and determine the effect during the design-build process.
- Make sure the final cost plan and the scope of work are fully aligned (monitor design development through various stages of drawing the issue to ensure adherence to established estimates).
- Continuously evaluate the finalised cost plan.
- Work with the project team on value analysis and constructability reviews.
- Ensure that potential risk factors have been evaluated and reviewed with senior management within the office.
- Has a relative profit and loss responsibility.
- On successful bids (in coordination with project managers and assistant project managers), responsible for assisting in the preparation of trade contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders, project budgets and project schedules.
- Keep abreast of current changes and trends in market pricing, construction costs, methods and products.
- Work with the BIM team/service provider to review and improve cost estimating and constructability from 3D model data.
- Constantly identify new material suppliers, trade contractors and subcontractors to improve the overall performance of the business.
- Develop, plan and assist the estimating team's strategy on the approach to a project or estimate.
- Prepare and assemble the preconstruction brochures containing estimates and related information.
- Implement all policies and processes of the company and the development team.
- As required visit project sites for due diligence before report/proposal submission.
- Make recommendations to the HOP & HOD, concerning improvements to policies and procedures.
- Assist the HOP & HOD in the development of long-range goals, objectives and strategies for the estimating functions.
- Ability to prepare and manage preconstruction schedules and preliminary construction schedules.
- Help onboard key resources to the procurement and costing the team.
- Monitor and advise on the work and progress of subordinates, including training.
- Mentor and develop skills of staff.
- Take an active role in the performance management process to develop and mentor subordinates towards a successful career in the company.
- Ensure all relevant internal reviews occur.