senior consultant at Randstad India Private Limited
Views:319 Applications:24 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:22
Technical Superintendent - Shipping/Marine (10-18 yrs)
Opportunity to work with a Chemical Tanker Owning Company.
Following are the details of the role :
Designation : Technical Superintendent
Experience : Minimum 10 years of experience on the Shore and experience with tanker vessel and DPA.
Location : Mumbai
Report to : General Manager
JOB DESCRIPTION : The successful applicant will have responsibility for the day to day management for 3 Chemical Tankers.
Duties will include, but are not limited to :
- Technical management of 3 Chemical Tankers to ensure the availability, reliability and smooth operations meet the business requirements and industry standards, rules and regulations
- Develop operations guidelines and oversee daily operations to ensure the fleet is seaworthy and flawless operations meet the business requirements and industry standards, rules and regulations
- Plan and manage the on-board manning operation, in collaboration with HR, to ensure availability of competent officers and ratings that complies with the business requirements, national and international rules and regulations
- Develop and manage scheduled fleet maintenance plans for the assigned fleet of vessels to ensure availability and reliability of the fleet
- prepare dry docking or repair scope and attend to vessel during dry docking and repair works to ensure cost-effective and successful completion of projects
- Plan and manage the procurement of spares and stores activities to ensure cost-effective and timely supply to ships for the proper maintenance and safe operations of the assigned vessels
- Develop and manage the budgets
- Develop a pool of capable and competent Assistant Superintendents and employees to support the business growth and operational needsGeneral:
- The coordination of all operations and/or technical matters in line with the Company's policies, maritime rules and regulations and industry standards.
- Instructing, coordinating and monitoring works/repairs.
- Implementing machinery and hull performance monitoring in the context of long-term vessels- operational costs savings.
- Dealing with any damage repairs preserving vessels commercial competence and originating long-term corrective/preventive actions in order to avoid re-occurrence.
- Monitoring all technical problems, major defects and follow up, until corrective action is verified.
- Co-operating with the Operations department to achieve the optimum vessels- performance consistent with their commercial obligations.
- The timely correction/rectification of any outstanding items related to the SMS.
- Ensuring the proper management of spare parts and deck/engine stores and assisting in the control of the vessels- budgets.
- Controlling and monitoring the lub-oil and bunker quality and consumption.
- Monitoring all aspects/performance of assigned vessels- operation including safety and environmental protection, etc. to ensure that these are carried out in compliance with the Company's requirements for a flawless, efficient, competitive and customer focused operation and prevailing International and Flag State legislation. Initiating corrective actions when such performance does not meet with the Company's standards.
- Keeping records of the functioning and condition of all instruments and equipment onboard.
- Checking the logbooks, the Oil Record Books, etc. and ensuring that contingency plans and other manuals are updated.
- Monitoring the inventories of mooring equipment, safety equipment, life saving, fire fighting equipment and portable instruments.
- Attending Vetting and third party inspections.
Health, Quality, Safety and Environmental protection Management :
- The promotion of the SMS Policy and culture on board vessels.
- Demonstrating his commitment to safety and environmental excellence, by his behaviour.
- Reporting to the DPA on matters that deviate from the SMS procedures.
- Suggesting to the DPA possible improvements/modifications of the SMS.
- Ensuring that the working conditions onboard are safe.
- Performing internal audits.
- Investigating accidents, incidents and serious near misses.
- Reviewing all reports of non-conformities, incidents or near misses received by the vessels assigned to him and following-up the implementation and verification of corrective/preventive actions process inclusive their effectiveness.
- Participating in the Emergency Response Team, as delegated by the General Manager.
- The effective implementation of preventive maintenance of hull, main machinery, deck machinery, electrical equipment, etc, as described in the PMS and set by the Class/Flag
- Monitoring the Class and Flag State requirements and planning/supervising the required surveys. Ensuring that the certification of assigned vessels is maintained in accordance with the relevant Class and Flag State requirements.
- Keeping abreast with the Statutory and Class regulations and standards.
- Attending and sailing with vessels to solve operational problems onboard.
- Inspecting assigned vessels, monitoring their condition and preparing condition/attendance reports, including any comments on cargo operation, maintenance,crew performance, etc.
- Analyzing the results of assigned vessels- inspections and following-up all reports of vessels- condition and performance.
- Issuing maintenance instructions (job orders) following vessels- inspections.
- Assisting the shipboard personnel to eliminate problems and/or malfunctions.
- Developing efficient repair methods and evaluating/selecting, in cooperation with the General Manager, quality sub-contractors.
Attending repairs and Dry Dockings :
- Preparing and formulating repair specifications, taking into account the requirements of Class Society, Owners- and Company's standards, PMS reports, deck, tank and machinery condition reports, defect reports, the Master's and C/E's reports and National Port State and International legislation.
- Evaluating repair quotations, selecting repair Companies and location of the repairs, based on the - best quality of works- / - cost- relation, taking into account the vessels- itinerary and Charter Party obligations.
- Implementing the specifications and repairs effectively and efficiently to the Owners- favour in a timely manner, avoiding any delays to the vessels- commercial schedules.
- Planning vessels- equipment maintenance as allowed by the vessel's itinerary and schedule and in accordance with the SMS procedures.
- Monitoring and processing the Planned Maintenance System for life saving appliances and fire fighting equipment.
- Attending delivery of new acquisitions.
- Processing all spare parts requisitions received from vessels and monitoring the efficient and timely supply of all spares required for the proper maintenance and safe operation of the vessels.
- Ensuring that the purchase orders for engine spares/stores are reviewed for accuracy and propose to the Purchasing Manager the suppliers to be contacted.
- The seafarers level of onboard training and the monitoring and execution of scheduled drills.
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of the seagoing personnel and reporting accordingly to the Crew Manager.
- Familiarising new shore staff and providing in-house training to the Masters, C/Es and other seagoing personnel with the requirements of the SMS related to the operational and technical aspects of the vessel and the PMS.
- Participating in the briefing and de-briefing of Masters, C/Es, etc. before and after appointment, as per the SMS relevant procedure.
- Identifying the need for crew training.
- Conducting on board training.
Key Requirements :
The successful applicant will ideally :
- Holded a Certificate of Competency (Class 1) - Steam Ships and have sailed as a Chief Engineer on Tankers.
- Fully familiar with modern planned maintenance systems, vetting and management system requirements- Required to travel for work
- Excellent verbal and written English and computer skills are essential