VAVE Design Engineer - CAD/SolidWorks (5-10 yrs)
This position will report to the Global Innovation Manager and will be responsible for the management and execution of assigned projects to reduce the total cost of ownership of equipment in support of the corporate annual cost improvement goals. This objective will be realized through productivity improvements utilizing VA/VE tools and strategic cost management processes. The success of this position will be contingent on working with cross-functional and regional teams in the prioritization and execution of identified cost improvement opportunities.
Essential Functions :
a. Cost analysis on current products :
- Bill of Material cost roll-ups
- Perform a Pareto (80/20) analysis to identify targeted areas for cost improvement.
b. Understand key performance needs of a current design
- Establish product performance metrics and document where lacking.
- Be able to develop cost reduction solutions while meeting or exceeding product performance.
- Identify modifications based on manufacturability, cost, and component technology factors.
- Determine and apply re-designed improvements and verify through testing.
c. Identify existing components for re-quoting/resourcing using existing design parameters
- Evaluate and approve alternate materials that allow the business to meet cost goals.
- Work with CAD as well as physical models.
- Practice good DFMA Design For Manufacture & Assembly.
- Initiate and provide technical direction to enhance production methods, improve parts/ equipment technology, and reduce costs.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Experience / Abilities:
- 5-10 years of progressive experience in design, engineering, manufacturing engineering or production
- VAVE expertise - Demonstrated success VAVE engineering
- Strong project management skills and design orientation. Ability to assess needs, design and implement cost reductions across multi-disciplinary groups.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical data
- Broad tactical and strategic - bandwidth-, i.e., the ability to successfully manage multiple and/or rapidly changing priorities.
- Demonstrated track record leveraging data to solve problems and must possess strong critical thinking skills. Ability to conduct complex analytics and synthesize insights into actionable initiatives
- Results oriented - has track record for delivering results, takes ownership and is accountable.
- Demonstrating initiative and personal accountability to meet work demands according to highest standards, while being able to prioritize and balance competing needs.
- Stretch oriented - embraces and thrives on challenge. Sets high expectations for self and the organization
- Continuous improvement oriented - has familiarity with DFMA principles and how to apply them for sustainable results in a product development and manufacturing setting
- Possesses a high sense-of-urgency, traction counts and has a strong attention to detail
- Problem-Solving - able to perform complex problem-solving using a structured approach
- Business/Technical Acumen - ability to quickly learn a wide portfolio of product, technical complexities and suppliers. Both technically-minded and business-minded
- Able to balance and execute a VA/VE strategy, while at the same time making an immediate impact
- Excellent communication skills internally and with suppliers
- Analytical. Seeks out facts and evaluates relationships and dependencies.
- Both a competitive and team player. This individual speaks to results yet gives credit to the team.
- Humble and self-aware. Helping drive a culture of respect across all associates, functions and levels. This candidate understands their personal areas of development and actively works on weaknesses.
Computer skills :
- SolidWorks is a must (at least 3 years)
- Microsoft suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook